Mary Meredith Bowler

Clyde Fechser
Faye Boyden
Cleveland Brown
Willmirth Brown

Clyde Fechser
Faye Boyden
Cleveland Brown
Wilmirth Brown



A letter about life in England by Sarah M. Boshard, Mary Meredith Bowler's Oldest Daughter

Wallsburg, Utah
August 13, 1935

To My Children,

I was born in Conven near Wolverhampton, Stafford Shire, England. On the seventh day of February 1870. My parents moved to Green Hill, Wombern when I was two years of age.
When I was six years of age, I went to Brewood to stay with my Grandmother Bowler so that I could attend school. I went to the public school there until I was eight years old. At that time my grandmother passed away. So I had to return to my home, at Green Hill.
After we moved to Trysell, my sister Polly and I went to a private boarding school at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Mayo. The school was called Semesto Cottage. We had a lovely time at this school. Mr. Mayo gave us little parties, Polly and I were always called on to sing at these parties.
It was at this time that our parents embraced the gospel. The Elders Brother Judd of St. George, and Brother George Atkin of Tooele used to visit us for several days at a time. We walked two miles on Sunday to Wombern to meetings, which were held at the home of Brother Bodison.
I shall never forget our first Christmas tree, it was made of Holly. Mother trimmed the tree in the parlor and kept the door locked so Polly and I knew nothing about it. Mother's sister Aunt Bessie lived with us at the Park. She was teaching school at Wolverhampton.
While Aunt Bessie was dressing us up on Christmas morning, Mother brought in the tree and suprised us. The tree was on the table and bunch of Mistletoe hung from the ceiling. I remember the lovely things we received, each of us had two dolls and a doll buggy and all kinds of nice things.
It was the custom in England, on Christmas Eve, for carrol singers to go from house to house, singing the beautiful Yule Tide songs. Mother always had a large dish with individual meat pies, wine, and a few coppers for the singers.
In the Spring of 1879 my Aunt Bessie passed away, and about three months later on the ninth day of June my sister Elizabeth was born.
Polly and I used to have a lovely time wandering through the fields and lanes with father. It was two miles up the lane to the end of the farm. There were blackberries on one side, we loved to pick the berries. The dog always went with us, one of them was called Clumsy dash, because he was always getting caught in the bushes.
We lived in a large house with twelve rooms, at the end of the lane. Father was the Bailiff, of the farm called the Park, he always wore a dark green codoroy uniform that all the bailiffs wore.
Polly and I had a little garden and when the daffodils bloomed in the front garden, we would go and dig them up and plant them in our garden, and wonder why they didn't grow.
Two weeks before we left, Mother went to Brewoood to assist at her friends wedding, taking me with her, so that I could visit with my little school mate and say boody to her. Her name was Fanny Cox, she was just my age. We had a very lovely time together.
The day before the wedding, Fanny and I went out into the woods to gather primroses and violets, we wandered out where I had never been before, just on the out skirts of the woods was a little cottage with a pretty flower garden. We decided to see who lived there. It was a nice old lady, she invited us in and made tea for us and some nice little tea cakes, she put a little Rum in our tea. We had a very nice time with her.
Mother and I returned home. The next week, we left the farm and went to Penkridge to visit Father's mother. From there we went to Liverpool and sailed on the Wyoming for New York.
It took us eleven days to get to New York. It was a lovely trip. I was the only one who did not get seasick. I got acquainted with a girl my age. Together we had a good time. There was one thunder storm while crossing, but it wasn't too bad.
After being on the water for eleven days, coming into the harbor was a wonderful sight. We landed at Castle Gardens. In the eveing of the same day we boarded the train for the west. At Chicago we changed trains again. I remember very well going through a tunnel. Iwas curious to see the end of it, so I opened the window and was going to look out and the windows came down on my head. I didn't get to see the end of the tunnel.
We arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah on the nineth of June. Brother Wheeler met us and took us out to his home in Cottonwood. We stayed there two weeks until Father could find a place to locate. We finally came down to the Lake bottoms in Utah County, to a farm of Brother MacDonald but when we got there the people were still in the house. We had to go into an old log house which Mother didn't like very much.
Mother went into Provo to get provisions, while there she met two of the elders that she had known in England, Vernie Halladay and brother W. Paxman.
We moved to Provo and brother Paxman gave Father work at the Smoot Lumber Yard. Father bought our home from brother Smoot on the corner of first west and third north. I went to school first in a little school house where the Parker used to stand, on second north and first east. Next I went to the first ward. Teenie Smoot being the first teacher I had and Mary Jane John the second. After that I went down to the school in the second ward Mr. L.A. Wilson was the teacher. Last, but not least I went to the Brigham Yound Academy. I was going there when it burned down. It was located on the corner of center and third west. Karl G. Maeser was the Principal.
We then moved up to the rooms over the Comercial Bank, on center and University Avenue.
I worked for a short time in the Provo Woolen Mills. I had two looms and wove flanel and linen.
On January twenty seventh 1886, I married John Henery Boshard in the Logan Temple. We lived in a two roomed house belonging to his brother Dolph. In the same summer the house burned down, so we moved over to the corner of first north and fifth east for a short time. In October of the same year we moved close to Mother in the Meldrum house. Out first child was born there. Clarence was born on the fourth of November. The next spring we moved over into Grandmother Boshard's house and stayed there until we could build our own home.
James Rudolf was born while we were still living at Grandmother's. He was born January twentieth 1889.
We built two rooms in 1890 and moved into our own home.
February twenty sixth 1891 Marie was born. I nearly lost my life with septecemia. The Elders administered to me and the poison left me and entered Brother Bennet's arm and I got well again.
In 1892 my husband was called on a mission to Switzerland. I was left with three children, two boys and a girl. While Harry was away on this mission, I took a nursing course, which helped me a great deal in raising my family. In the fall of that same year, I was seriously ill with typhus fever. They had to send for Harry.
Apostle J. W. Taylor and White of Salt Lake opened a mission in Denver. And in December 1895, Harry was again called on the mission field to Denver.
In the fall of 1895 my husband went on a tour with the quartette. They travelled all through Utah, singing for the Republican party for six weeks they sang Govener Well into the chair.
On the tenth of April 1896 Casper LeRoy was born. Next in 1898 twenty second of May, Arnold was born.
Viola Meredith Nov. 8, 1900
Geneveive Apr. 22, 1903
Hayden Boyden Aug. 31, 1905
Erma Elaine Oct. 25, 1907
Paul Lowell Feb. 28, 1910
Edna Sept. 19, 1912
In the year of 1912 my last daughter was born. I was now the mother of twelve children. Six girls and six boys.
In 1814 I took up nursing and I made lots of nice friends. I had splended success with my nursing, in al the time I was nursing I never lost a mother, and only one baby and that was caused by the baby being born with cancer. I helped to bring seventy one babies into this world.
During the first winter after the first world war, I lost my son Dod, with the flue. He left a widow and three children, Maxine, Verda, and the baby James Rudolph. That was a terrible winter everywhere. Every one had the flue, and there were many who died with it.
The first trip I had to the coast I went with Myron and Marie. Erma went with us, she was 15. We surely enjoyed every minute of it. We arrived in Los Angeles the morning of April 29th. We stayed at Rosylin Hotel, Marie, Erma and I went out with a sightseeing car to Pasadena, also to Annhouser Bush gardens, and the Ostrich Farm. The next day we made our first visit to Hollywood.
Myron got us a nice room in Long Beach on May 1st. We took the boat over to San Pedro, It was a delightful ride of 8 miles. While thereMyron made an appointment with one of the officers of the battle ship Tennessee, for us to visit the ship, as his guest. We spent the afternoon with the officer, Ensign Shindler. He took us all over the boat, and served us refreshments in his cabin.
In Sept. 30th Harry passed away, and I took over the store I got along very well. In 19?? Arnold and I took over the store on the corner. We took iton a two year lease. It went along splended until just three months before the lease was up Mr. Mayhew sold the store over us. That hurt me so terrible I just couldn't carry on any more. I ought to have moved back to my own little store but it hurt me so bad I just couldn't.
That same spring I married an old friend of mine, Will Nutall. We started I the trucking business, but we had bad luck. Then the depression came, and we all felt it baddly. We lost the trucks and the business.
On June nineth, Father died and he left me a small farm of eleven acres. So the boys built me a small house up there in Wallsburg and Will and I went up there and tried to farm it. But we didn't have money to buy implements with, it was rather hard. But we enjoyed it very much. We were up there about five years. The last two years we lived in Mother's house and we enjoyed it there.
Then I sold the farm and cam back to my home in Provo, and for two years Will had charge of the fifth ward church. But his health failed so he had to give that up.

This article was attached to Sarah M. Boshard's story:
Mrs. Sarah M. Boshard is being honored Tuesday, February 7, on here 80th birthday with a party given by her daughters, at the home of her daughter Marie (Mrs. M. C. Tanner) who lives at 6280 Del Valle Drive Los Angelos California.
Mrs. Boshard was born in Coven near Wolverhampton Stafford Shire, England, on the 7th of February 1870. She came to America with her parents in a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Her parents James Boyden and their family settled in Provo, and here Sarah met and married J. H. Boshard.
Mrs. Boshard has living at the present time ten children, twenty two grandchildren, and 15 great grandchildren.

Mary Meredith Bowler
Mary Meredith
Diane's Den